Anaphylactic shock

The 15th January 2016 started in the normal frantic way of trying to get the whole family up, dressed, fed and to school on time.

This particular day my middle son was running ridiculously late as he had found the toys in his bedroom were much more interesting than putting his clothes on and getting ready for school.

As the frantic yelling began Theo eventually hurtled down the stairs and having no time to eat his breakfast grabbed a cereal bar on the way out of the house. This occurrence had never happened before as my middle son is particularly fond of his food and so ensures he has enough time eat before school.

Having checked the packet of the cereal bar to find all the ingredients were fine for Theo to eat he munched his way through it on the way to school.

Theo suffers from a severe allergy to tree nuts paticually pistachio and cashew nuts so checking ingredients in pre prepared food becomes automatic to us now.

Theo started the school day as normal but at around 9.15am went a bit dizzy when he stood up from the carpet at registration, noticing this school phoned my husband to ask him to come and check him over. Fred my husband went to school and checked him over and as he seemed to be perfectly fine Fred gave him the option of staying at school or coming home to have some rest.

Theo decided that he would like to go home and watch T.V. however Fred got wind of this and said that he would have to rest not watch T.V. Theo decided he would rather stay at school after all.

As far as we know the day from there on was just a normal wet, winter Friday and because of which, the children had wet play time where they went to play in the school hall or watch a movie.

On returning from wet play time Theos teacher noticed he had a rash and on closer examination realized that the rash was quickly spreading all over his body. It was then the teachers quick thinking and actions that saved my sons life.

They quickly took him out of the class and by this time he had started wheezing and airway closing so they used Theos epipen which reduced his respiratory symptoms whilst they called for an ambulance. The ambulance arrived and Theos symptoms had reduced slightly as his wheezing was improved but rash still very visible.

On rout to the hospital Theo took another turn for the worse with a second wave of the symptoms which made him become very drowsy and unresponsive. Realizing this the Ambulance crew took him straight in to resus where they gave him several more drugs including additional shots of adrenaline, steroids and antihistamine.

This additional ‘waves’ of symptoms happened a further three times but the quick action of the medics kept the symptoms at bay so they were no longer life threatening. We stayed in the high dependency unit over night for observation before we returned home the next day.

It was like magic Theo was back to his normal self as quick as he became unwell. However I know for a fact that the outcome would have been completely different if it hadn’t been for the quick thinking and actions of his teachers at school.

[amazon text=Amazon&template=carousel&asin=B018VZ0VWM]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *